SubjectRe: Arm the gnus [OFFTOPIC]

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> are until this guns thread came up. I didn't want to respond to it but
> the idiocy has dragged me into it - the belief of Americans that their
> constitution is the law of the world (a country with laws which bans export

Well, I'm then going to voice my opinion too. I'm not american, I don't
live in america, I don't like many of american laws, but I do believe
people should be able to own firearms.

> 2: There is no "natural right to bear arms". Any right to weapons is a thing
> of the past, and the countries where it is legal for anyone to own a gun
> are stuck in the distant past. In Australia, Pauline Hanson's One Nation

In my eyes, a society that has learnt how to live with firearms, that has
the freedom to use them but also is responsible enough not to, is a quite
advanced society compared with the one who just "nannies" their citizens
and takes the matches away because they might get burnt.

> Party was the latest guns-lobby-sponsored political party. Their pro-guns
> and pro-racism policies put them right where they deserved to be - out of
> parliament.

> The Australian society has grown up and realised that a society
> without guns is a far safer society. It takes a cursory glance at the

You don't have guns, so guns are harder to get illegally and if someone is
carrying one he is a criminal for sure.. but I can't see the difference in
being killed by a gun and being killed by a knife. So I'm sure that your
society would be even more safer if you took knives too, and sliced bread
with sticks. You can also ban all forms of martial arts and hand to hand
combat, since it can be deadly... getting ridiculous enough yet?

Yes, I would feel safer carrying a gun, _and_ having recieved training.
In fact, in a society where you can carry firearms, it'd be a must to
receive this training, the same way it's a must to know how to read/write.

> statistics of violent crimes and deaths to realise that gun ownership
> is not a sensible thing for the masses. If you need to own a gun to

I'm not gonna play with statistics.. they always mean what you want them
to mean, for everybody. But your reasoning sounds like "hey, PGP is not a
good thing for you and you dont even need it.. let us manage it for you,
and if you ever try to distribute PGP, you're a terrorist.. got it?"

.. and it somehow reminds me to the medieval days here, when you could
only own a gun if you were some sort of noble. Why could they and the rest
of the people couldn't? What made them special? A drug dealer doesn't
care if carrying a weapon is illegal or not because he's on the bad side..
but I can't because I'm on the good side.. so I loose? No thanks.

--
____/| Ragnar Hojland (ragnar@lightside.ddns.org) Fingerprint 94C4B
\ o.O| 2F0D27DE025BE2302C

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.397 / U:0.408 seconds]