    SubjectRe: Linux vs Microsoft
    Tim Towers <tim@lorien.demon.co.uk>:
    > Dear Richard,
    >
    > Hmm, commercially, I would expect all the
    > "open source" medievel knights to get mown
    > down by the Microsoft Tank. Once you've shipped
    > an OS with the PC that people buy they'll
    > generally stick with it, and in an office
    > environment the OS and App mix from Microsoft
    > makes a lot of sense on the desktop.
    >
    > There's only a one in a million chance that
    > either the US DoJ lawsuit, or Microsoft's
    > own inertia will cause it to fail.
    >
    > As Terry Pratchett noticed, though, one in
    > a million chances happen quite regularly.
    >
    > Tim Towers
    > Merrill Lynch, Architecture & Strategy

    With due respect, Mr. Towers...if Microsoft could crush us, it would
    already have done so. It is now several months too late for them to
    succeed.

    Their window began to close when the first of the enterprise database
    announcements hit the streets. With Oracle's announcement of a
    bundled, supported, Oracle-over-Linux combination on CD-ROM offering
    the 24/7 reliability unattainable with NT, it has effectively slammed shut.

    Microsoft would have to ship a truly production-quality NT 5.0 within
    the next month to prevent Oracle's power play from working. And that
    ain't gonna happen, because the 5.0 development is turning into a disaster
    so hideous that Microsoft's own marketing people are telling large
    customers not to expect it to ship anytime soon or be production-ready
    when it does.

    The bottom line is that NT server in the enterprise is doomed; the
    only question remaining is what the speed of the collapse will be.
    And that fact kicks the stuffing out of half of Microsoft's business
    strategy, which is as dependent on keeping large customers locked in and
    on a perpetual upgrade treadmill as it is on hardware tying agreements.
    (That other half, of course, is under threat by the DOJ.)

    Microsoft knows all this, and I think they expect a revenue crunch
    coming; that's why they recently stopped their regular (and, until
    now, continuous) stock buybacks. They're hunkering down for a siege,
    hoping the analysis won't notice -- because if their stock price takes
    any serious hits, the option machine they use to pay off developers
    will collapse.

    As you say, Microsoft's OS and app mix makes sense on the desktop.
    You could have strengthened your point by adding that the desktop is
    Microsoft's cash cow, so that in a strictly financial sense the loss
    of their server business would hardly hurt them.

    The problem with this analysis is that Microsoft increasingly finds
    itself in a strategically defensive rather than offensive position.
    The combination of an open-source operating system and just *one*
    working Windows emulator could wreck their desktop position
    irretrievably within months if Microsoft ever loses its image of
    invincibility -- and Microsoft knows that, too.

    Therefore, Microsoft's desktop-monopoly cash cow can only be sustained
    by continual `prestige' design wins in other markets. And in *all* those
    markets, Microsoft is in trouble. MSN was a failure. WinCE has failed
    to lock in the set-top-box and appliance market. And, as I've pointed
    out above, they're about to lose the enterprise servers.

    All this would make it hard for Microsoft to "crush" us even if the
    DOJ lawsuit didn't make any visible FUD barrage a suicidal tactic.

    Not only can't they crush us, but it will take a reversal of present
    trends for them to avoid a collapse into irrelevance within eighteen
    months.
    --

    The following is a Python RSA implementation. According to the US Government
    posting these four lines makes me an international arms trafficker! Join me

    The politician attempts to remedy the evil by increasing the very thing
    that caused the evil in the first place: legal plunder.
    -- Frederick Bastiat

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.034 / U:2.412 seconds]