SubjectRe: How to invoke burst-read on PCI mapped memory area
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Hiroshi Kawashima wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981013164321.3101A-100000@apemaia.roma1.infn.it> you
> > Let me doubt, really !! I can't see any way an OS (Win NT) could work
> > around an HW limitation.
> No, no, it's not workaround of course.
> If I believe word of my colleague (I believe), 440BX chipset must have such
> capability. (To convert burst-read (aka cache line fill) on host bus
> to burst-read transaction on PCI)
> I do not have enough time to validate his word right now, but does this
> behavior sounds so strange ?

not so much. I have no trouble to believe that BX's have such a cabability
(at last !!) but the point is that it's not a WinNT feature, but a BX one.
If you could 'track' your colleague to get some information on the
register to tweek, you'd be useful to a lot of people.
In the mean time, i'll try to download BX specs from Intel site.
regards.

|Rossetti Davide INFN - Sezione Roma I - gruppo V, prog. APEmille|
| web : http://apemaia.roma1.infn.it/~rossetti |
| """"" E-mail : davide.rossetti@roma1.infn.it |
| |o o| phone : (+39)-6-49914412 |
|--o00O-O00o-- fax : (+39)-6-4957697 |
| address: Dipartimento di Fisica (V.E.) |
| Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza" |
| P.le Aldo Moro,5 I - 00185 Roma - Italy|
| pgp pub. key: finger rossetti@apemaia.roma1.infn.it |
| |
|"Most people think about twice a year. I got famous by thinking |
| once a week." - George B. Shaw (see Appendix A) |