SubjectRe: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> >> 2.1.10x swap deadlock
> >> 2.1.10x can seize up looping through swap_out_vma, shrink_mmap
> >> and get_swap_page.
>
> >It includes both Andrea's patch, my patch and a few checks
> >to see if we're really out of memory.
>
> When __get_free_pages() return 0 we must know that we are OOM.

Unfortunately, we don't. That's why I propose including
my check for out_of_memory().
The OOM killer part can be included later on, probably
as an optional feature (I know people want this, quite
a lot of sysadmins have asked me when it would be put
into the main kernel).

> If we are not OOM and __get_free_pages() return 0, it means that
> it's buggy (at least in _not_ GFP_ATOMIC context).

It can also mean something else, but I think I've explained
this over a dozen times already so I won't waste your time
again...

> The point is that an OOM killer could be _eventually_ a config
> option for 2.2 and it' s a new _feature_ (I don' t go in the details
> if it' s something we want or not in 2.2 here).

I don't think we want it included now, but when 2.2
stabilizes we might want to put it in after all.

> >The only problem is that my patch still needs some cleaning
> >up and I have a math test this friday ;(
>
> I know what does it mean ;-).

Well, my patch seems to work for everybody now. I need to
start working on things like code beautification, sysctl
support and statistics reporting.

> Rik I 100% agree that an OOM killer can be useful, but here I am
> pointing out that this is a totoally different issue.

Not really, with your patch there's a slightly increased
chance of killing a random process when there's still some
swap free. My patch removes the randomness _and_ the unneeded
killing.

Rik.