SubjectRe: driver for new hardware

I received a few very useful emails on how to submit a new driver, all of which
suggested to have other people test the driver. I guess I should have sent
additional information about the hardware and the driver.

The driver is for RedCreek's Virtual Private Network, VPN, adapter (the pci45). It's
a pci bus based adapter which offers IPSEC support, 3DES, etc. I've been using the
driver for a few months now and have stress tested it with speciliazed hardware; it
hasn't crashed in a very long time, although there are some areas which need improvement.

The problem with other people testing it is that the hardware is currently only available to
OEMs (and it's expensive too). In about a month, it will be available to all other "qualified"
integrators, but not directly to end users since RedCreek would not be able to offer end
users support. Thus, for a Linux user to obtain the adapter, he would have to buy an integrated
system from a Linux vendor (although, if eventually there is enough end user demand,
RedCreek might decide to sell the hardware directly to end users). In this case (the hardware not
being easily obtainable), does it make sense to even have the driver as part of the kernel
distribution?
I guess I wanted the driver distributed with the kernel so Linux users know that there is a
hardware VPN solution available for Linux. Any opinions?

In any case, the driver will be available with a GPL license on RedCreek's web cite in about a
week.

Thanks,

Pete

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:2.924 / U:0.548 seconds]