SubjectRe: ide1 stalls while tar xvfz'ing

>> It could be the drive itself. I have always found Maxtors to
>> not only have a high risk of dying with a bunch of bad sectors
>> but also to be slower than other EIDE brands.

first of all, i wrote my message to linux kernel list in the hope of
seeing if this was a software/kernel issue or not. I have received a
few other replies from people with different hardware noting the same
problem. i will wait a few more days and hopefully collect a few more
trouble reports, then i will come back and summarize the info along
with some further test results, in the hopes of pinning the source of
the problem down.

So please, if you have read the original article i posted here, and
have a similar problem, please write to me and i will collate the
findings for the kernel list.

thanks

>> It could be that
>> you Maxtor is just one of those super slow maxtors, the hiccup
>> is probably caused when the disk cache becomes full and the
>> writes to the drive are suspended until some of the data in the
>> cache is written to the disk.

i need to understand better how the disk cache works, but consider
this: the problem exists independent of the size of the files within
the archive. and data transfers in general dont seem slow to the
disk. but i need to test and characterize this more, perhaps, before
this list can take a look and see if this is hardware, setup, or
kernel/filesystem problems.

If someone knows definitively this is NOT a kernel problem, i will
gladly move the conversation to the comp.os.linux lists, though i got
no response there a week ago.

les schaffer
.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.032 / U:0.512 seconds]