SubjectRe: Strange CD behaviour
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Dave Swegen wrote:

> First of all I'd like to apologise if this is the wrong forum for this
> mail. Secondly is that I am not a kernel hacker, I would merely like to
> report some strange behaviour in the 2.1.125 kernel.
>
> Basically what happens is that I can press the eject button on my CD-ROM
> drive and it will pop out, despite being mounted (I have checked this in
> mtab while the caddy was out). However, the eject command does work as it
> should, ie prints an error message. I would also like to mention that as
> far as I remember this was not possible under previous kernels.
>
> The drive is a no-name standard ATAPI drive (Dysan is the manufacturers
> name, FWIW).
>
> What I basically would like to know is if this is worth me spending more
> time on testing, or if I should forget it. Also, if I should spend more
> time on the problem, what sort of information would be of use?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I believe what you have is a drive that is unable to lock its
door when we ask it nicely to do so. I havn't had widespread reports
of such problems, so I guess this is just something unique to your drive.
My recomendation is to not push the button when the drive is mounted,
and just leave it at that.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/