SubjectRe: Different kernels coexisting on the same system..how does it work??

Marc Corel wrote:

> II) Whatever kernel I m bootin, the config files stay the same...but
> this cause a problem:
> for ie..on kernel 2.0.32 IP_forwarding was not built in. On kernel
> 2.0.34 I specifically recompile IP_forwarding in, but there s no
> appearent difference between both.

With recent kernels, IP forwarding is always compiled in;
CONFIG_IP_FORWARD just sets whether it is enabled by default. You can
enable or disable forwarding by writing '0' or '1' to
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward at run time.

> III) Is the way I ve configured my system right (with those 3 kernels)??
> To make sure I m bootin the kernel of my choice, I copied the zImage of
> ech kernel on a floppy. So I just boot with the right floppy

You don't really need to configure lilo if you're booting from floppy.
It's probably simpler to just boot from the hard disk, and to select
which kernel to boot at the LILO prompt.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>