SubjectRE: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent
Date
> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> >
> > I have found that the v1.03 driver on cesdis dated August 20th works
> > flawlessly under my SMP box w/ multicast enabled under 2.1.123.
> Of course,
> > I'm not doing heavy amount of multicasting, but gated does refresh OSPF
> > routes every so often. I do however keep getting these damn
> socket destroy
> > delayed messages every time a socket is closed.
>
> If there are people out there that know that 1.03 fixes real problems from
> 1.02, I'd be happy to test it out. Donald hasn't been sending me patches,
> but if somebody else sends me the diff I can try it. However, if it's a
> question of multicast working at all versus a question of non-multicast
> being stable, then basic stability wins every time.

I've been lurking on their mailing list for quite some time now, I haven't
seen many reports of problems with 1.0.3. Of course, this could be because
no one reads the MAINTAINERS file which needs to really be called
READ-THIS-BEFORE-POSTING-A-BUG-REPORT-YOU-SCHMUCK. :)

Anyhow, the eepro100 driver that came with 2.1.123 died within hours..
ifconfig down brought the interface down, however ifconfig up wouldn't bring
it back up.

This didn't just happen with 2.1.123, I have two other machines with
identical eepro100 cards running 2.0.35 UP which also crashed & burned. No
error messages, just hard lock.

Ever since I went to 1.0.3, I can't complain about any problems...Someone
mentioned FreeBSD has a good driver, maybe someone should see if there are
any workarounds for some of the problems you are suffering with your cards.

You think one person out there could create an ethernet card without any
bugs :)

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com