SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent
 # One scenario I envisioned, was Microsoft hiring Linus, perhaps
# you as well, and other core developers, and then hiring other
# people to come up with "Microsoft Linux" distribution. As far as
# I know, they are free to do just that. Then they'd try putting
# RedHat, etc... out of business.

This is what I have always thought they would do, minus the hiring Linus
part. In fact, I think I believe (: that they are currently working on
their own distribution. They probably feel that if they can get a large
enough installed (and supported) user base, they can start to dictate
policy on the kernel/lib/util level.

That is what we need to watch out for. They have full rights to make their
own dist, but we CANNOT allow them to alter the path of development in any
way.

What concerns me is that they will include a copyrighted libmicrosoft.so
in their system and all of the apps they develope will require it. Does
that violate the license? I don't believe so.

G'day!

-- n i c h o l a s j l e o n
/ elegance through simplicity /
/ good fortune through truth / http://mrnick.binary9.net
/ not all questions have answers / mailto:nicholas@binary9.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.207 / U:0.156 seconds]