SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent
On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Believe me Microsoft think Linux is a threat now. Its level with things like
> java in their perceived threat list, so you can expect all the usual MS
> techniques to start coming this way and very soon.
>
> Alan

In the Oct 5 issue of computer reseller news (trade rag) there is a column
by Barbara Darrow (bdarrow@cmp.com) titled "Is Linux, Linux Everywhere?"
in which she states "There's an awful lot of Linux running in Redmond."
and poses the question why. She gives three possible reasons.

"
One: it could be working to ensure Windows interoperablity.

Two: It could develop, as one anonymous correspondent noted, a
Win32-binary-compliant version of Linux and ship it with its own Windows
manager. This falls in to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" view.

Three: Microsoft could port its popular applications and browser to Linux,
thereby giving the Linux - faithful - who tend to hate Wiondows - a
Microsoft product to buy.

"

At the end she poses the question "What do you think Linux's chances are
in a Microsoft dominated world?"

reply to bdarrow@cmp.com

On the front page of this issue is an article called:

"Linux groundswell continues to grow"
"Intel, Netscape investment in RedHat puts focus on Microsoft's role"

"Last August, Microsoft President Steve Ballmer said his company is
concerned with Linux and its grassroots support. But, he said at that
time, people are not interested in Linux because it is free, or nearly
free, but because it might provide some flexibility "wherther it's source
code that they're afraid they can't do without."

That isuue has at least prompted Microsoft to consider opening up Windows
code. "every day we'll wake up and consider it," Ballmer said."

Personally I don't see how they could do this and expose all the stolen
code. :-)

Bob - hwm@netcom.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.179 / U:0.552 seconds]