SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent
On 11 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.KSI.981010090752.8526A-100000@tigra.gu.net>,
> Serguei Koubouchine <ksi@gu.net> wrote:
> >
> >Do we have a chance to have a WORKING eepro100 driver in 2.2 ?
>
> The eepro100 driver works fine, but you must _not_ enabled IPv6 or do
> multicasting.

This effectively turns Linux into a toy system which can't be used into
serious network environment :-(( Do you mean we have to avoid Linux when
making e.g. Internet servers in favour of e.g. FreeLSD ? We really DO have
to run gated, the static routing is not a choice to be taken seriously...
D'ya see the new kernel to be only the apps launcher, not suitable for
something useful ? Do you know that 2.0.xx kernels do work reliably with
multicasting ? I'd like to know what is all that wonderful networking stuff
(misc queue disciplines, ANK's iproute2/tc suite etc.) in new kernels for ?

Furthermore, the eepro100 driver v1.0.3 DOES work with multicasting. The
problem is that it doesn't work at all with some of eepro100 cards - LEDs go
off as soon as the eepro100 module is loaded... Running mii-diag after this
sometimes does solve a problem. Sometimes not... And this is far before the
multicasting show begins...

Unfortunately for Linux, FreeLSD does run on eepro100's full throttle like a
charm...

> I have reports of alternate drivers that can do multicasts, but they all
> break under heavy load.

Do you share that Donald's approach "My drivers are of top quality and I'm
tired to send all of that bad boys one-line message telling don't use
gated" ? If so, something's definitely wrong in Linux country and we'd
better look for an another one....