    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev
       Date: 	Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:40:03 +1100
    From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>

    If I understand what you mean, there would be problems. Device drivers
    which use devfs (in a devfs-enabled kernel) would *only* be accessible
    through a mounted devfs. Other device drivers which are not yet
    converted to be devfs-capable (i.e. with #ifdef CONFIG_DEVFS wrappers)
    would *only* be accessible through the old disc-based c&b nodes.

    The is an important difference between the way disc-based c&b nodes
    and devfs make the connection between an entry in /dev and the actual
    device driver.

    Note that the devfs doesn't use the major&minor system.

    I thought you said devfs would be compatible with people who need to
    create a subset of /dev with character and block devices in (say)
    /u1/ftp/dev for the purpose of creating chroot'ed jail....

    Now you're saying that devfs will *not* be compatible with somone who
    needs to use chroot --- say, in anonymous FTP servers. Worse yet, as
    device drivers are converted over to use devfs, it will be impossible to
    use such devices in an chrooted system?

    Say it isn't so....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:0.040 seconds]