SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev (new idea)
[Patrick St. Jean]

kjetilho@ifi.uio.no said:
> /usr/sbin/devlinks will create entries in /dev, based on hints found
> in /etc/devlink.tab. Disks are handled by /usr/sbin/disks. Tapes by /
> usr/sbin/tapes. It's a mess, but it seems to

Solaris /devices directory is a bloody mess. Some things are done right,
but there are file-system files that the kernel depends on to function
and are manipulated by user level processes. The whole process is very
flaky, and in the end you will find, as I did, that it is a living hell
for the device driver writer.

It *only* works if you don't touch it:-) I have spent way too many days
restoring a solaris system from media after a driver fart (or power glitch)
at an inconvenient moment. The Linux kernel should not EVER require external
files or programs to execute a shell.

--
Steve Williams
steve@icarus.com

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.365 / U:0.052 seconds]