    SubjectRe: sysctl, ip_forward[ing], Configure.help
        From andi@zero.aec.at Mon Jan  5 19:13:43 1998

    alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

    > > fact was documented somewhere, e.g. by adding a sentence like
    > > You have to enable IP forwarding by doing
    > > echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    > > (cc to Axel, just in case there will be a 2.0.34;
    >
    > This isnt correct. In 2.0.x you have to set forwarding at compile time
    > unless using some vendors magically tuned krnel

    Someone incorporated my old ip_forward sysctl patch into 2.0.30 (it
    wasn't me, I'm not to blame). The compile time option selects only the
    default too, so if the kernel is compiled with IP_FORWARD it'll do the
    right thing at runtime. Setting of the sysctl is only needed when
    CONFIG_IP_FORWARD isn't enabled.

    Quite. We are leaving the territory of linux-kernel here,
    but for the education of HOWTO writers and others I might
    remark that I was setting up masquerading on a RedHat 5.0
    box, and it so happens that there /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
    contains the line
    echo "$value" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    so that the forwarding status of a kernel that is compiled
    with CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not determined by the options
    given at kernel compile time, but by the answers given
    at distribution install time. Here value is set from
    FORWARD_IPV4, which is defined in /etc/sysconfig/network .
    Easy to change, once you know that the variable exists.

    Andries

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.021 / U:1.096 seconds]