    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev
    On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

    >The reason my scheme doesn't depend on kerneld is that if a driver is
    >built-in/loaded by a boot script, the /dev entries for that driver are
    >registered in the startup code. So, on a system like mine where all
    >drivers are either built-in or automatically installed by a boot
    >script, /dev would be fully populated. An attempt to open(2) an entry
    >in /dev which did not exist would cause devfs to return -ENODEV
    >because kerneld isn't running.

    - You could implement that more easily without use kerneld.

    - I think this is totally wrong for programs or people that check in /dev
    for a device before try to open it, or at least is a mess.

    - If you want to make something useful, your devfs must be populated from
    _all_ kernel devices at boot with 600 permission and it must not remove
    device entry for some reason. It can add/remove devices from the
    filesystem only when you load/unload a kernel module.

    - Since devfs should be a virtual device that forget permission and
    ownership at reboot (or after module unload) it will make the life hard
    and less efficient in the rcS.d scripts. I' d like to chown directly
    /dev/devname on ext2, instead of change a bootup script or adding the
    line "option modname chmod 644 /dev/modname; chown ..." in /etc/conf.modules.
    I don' t like something of only virtual.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:29.248 seconds]