SubjectRe: alloc_skb called nonatomically from interrupt.. 2.1.84
In article <199801310636.WAA27518@dm.cobaltmicro.com> you wrote:
: Just received the above (title) upon booting 2.1.84. The reported
: address translated to inet6_rt_notify, and repeated 4 times.

: A lot of pieces of code do things like this, start a BH atomic from
: base level code and call something which can only legitimately run
: from non-IRQ code under certain circumstances.

: Is this just an oversight, or is there something else going on?

Really, it was misprint and I hope it was the only place where networking
really did this weird thing (btw, it was repaired just after 2.1.79 appeared,
look at Alan's patch)

Pedro used gfp_any() to make such kind of things,
but one day I found that in_interrupt() does not work (at least, on UP)
or I do not understand how it does work :-) :-), so that I used GFP_ATOMIC
everywhere, where call from bh protected context was possible.

In any case, CORRECT gfp_any() would be very useful thing, especially
for IPv6 where almost all the functions can be called both from normal
mode and from bh and from bh protected context.

Alexey Kuznetsov

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:0.180 seconds]