SubjectLinux Networking/PPP Problem
Date
Hello,
I have a strange problem with linux networking while communicating
with the pop server pop3.site1.csi.com. The problem appears to
be related to linux, because I cannot reproduce the problem under
Windows 95 or Sun OS.

I first noticed the problem when trying to use fetchmail to get
my CSI pop mail. I am using Red Hat linux 4.2. With fetchmail I
noticed that the username and password authenticates, the stat and
list work commands work, but on retr command, csi end apparently goes dead.

I then tried the same thing just with an ordinary telnet to port 110 and
the same thing happens. However, If I telnet manually under Windows 95,
or sunOS it all worksperfectly, and I can retrive messages.

I have tried using the poprpa package too, it authenticates perfectly,
with RPA but also gets stuck after sending a RETR 1 command. I have tried
with kernel 2.0.30, 2.1.79 and 2.1.82 and none work. I have tried on two
different machines with two different modems.

I imagine I could have some compile option not set properly, or maybe
something missing in /etc/conf.modules, alternatively there could be
a bug in the ppp or networking part of linux.

Can anyone reproduce this problem? Or is it just me? Does anyone have any
suggestions how I can solve it.

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas Waltham

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.045 / U:0.640 seconds]