    SubjectRe: file system building
    Magnus Ahltorp wrote:

    > The problem is, when the inode is cached in the dcache, it must have been
    > created by the iget(sb,xnode), and the reference count should be 0 (if
    > noone uses it). But, if I let the reference count drop to 0, the inode
    > will be deallocated. If I then do a dcache lookup, I will get an inode
    > number that does not map to an inode anymore. I will try to do an
    > iget(sb,xnode) on it, but since my read_inode does not do much, I get
    > something completly useless.

    Inodes being held by the dcache should have a use count of 1 -- the
    normal state of an inode in use is that only the dentry has a reference
    to it. The life of the dentry then determines the life of the inode;
    when the dentry is released, the inode count goes to 0 and the inode is
    usually freed almost immediately.

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.036 / U:0.112 seconds]