    SubjectRe: Extra per-inode data
    >    I'm now playing with some filesystem capable of >4G files and I
    > need to store lot of data (approx. 1K) per inode, so I decided to
    > use the inode->u.generic_ip field to point to my local data instead
    > of putting it directly to the inode structure. But it seems that
    > there is no way to free such data when the inode gets flushed out of
    > the inode cache (it can be still reused after super_ops->put_inode
    > gets called).

    Welcome to the club. I think the official interface at the moment is
    to clean-up in put_inode, and call clear_inode in the end of put_inode.
    Please look at the NTFS code, it also supports files >4G and needs to
    store approx 1K per inode :-)

    The draw-back, of course, is that the inode will *not* be reused after
    put_inode gets called, so I'd appreciate such a change as well.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:2.132 seconds]