SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: GGI and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux -LONG
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> >part of the OS (i.e. the kernel) or not. I hope that you don't
> >actually propose that such a server be part of the kernel.
>
> But using GGI sounds like a good idea for me.
>
> Actually, there's one major problem with X in my opinion: X server tries to
> be both windowing system _and_ a video driver. It would be good if we would
> have a windowing system which would be complete having all widgets
> (as modules, so that widgets could be replaced with another ones, so
> that all programs would start using the new set then) but _not_ being
> a video driver.

That's more like our frame buffer devices: the video mode is set up by the
kernel, while the X server mmap()s the video memory and draws in the frame
buffer memory.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.512 / U:0.008 seconds]