    SubjectRe: WAY WAY OFFTOPIC: Message passing vs. shared memory (WAS: Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?)

    To throw fuel on the fire... :-)

    voop@innocent.com said:
    > Which is better or worse of message passing or shared memory is a
    > matter of religion: the professors usually beat eachother up with
    > arguments for which is of preference.

    A simple existence proof can show that message passing is computationally
    equivalent to shared memory w/ semaphores. algorithms tuned for each can
    be implemented with the other.

    I've done very large distributed systems and find that message passing
    better reflects the distributed reality of large systems. When you start
    getting into error handling and faults, that memory doesn't normally have,
    you start to realize why communication protocols are described with messages.

    DSHM is a neat idea, and should be provided by Linux, especially for the
    smaller problems, but the real nasty systems are going to be using some
    sort of message passing protocol.

    --
    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:32.648 seconds]