SubjectRe: PATCH: Unix98 pty support.
[ this started about /dev/ptmx, and iBCS execution of static SCO
binaries which contain "insane" assumptions in their libc parts.. ]
[ I did think it was Alan who told me this way back when I suggested use
the /dev/ptmx, but Alan denies... Must have been somebody else then. ]

Ted Ts'O writes:
> The solution which NetBSD uses for doing emulation (and which I think is
> a good idea), is that when you are running a (for example) Linux binary
> under emulation, file lookups first check to see if the file is in the
> linux directory tree. If the file exists in there, that file is used;
> otherwise, the file lookup uses the normal file.
>
> This allows NetBSD to put the Linux-specific libraries in
> /linux/usr/lib/... without needing to worry about naming conflicts
> between Linux libraries and NetBSD libraries.

Sure, yes, fine. But how will it REMOVE /dev/ptmx
from the known universe for the troubled software ?
(well, I can imagine a few ways that iBCS can do it..)

> I could imagine something similar for iBCS, so that "foreign" programs
> can work, but all of the SCO-specific libraries end up in an
> SCO-specific tree. (And all of the i386 Solaris libraries can end up in
> a different tree, without worrying about the inevitable namespace
> clashes).
>
> - Ted

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.604 seconds]