    SubjectRe: 2.1.80 no-go
    Umm.  How about we make CONFIG_SMP a config option, and make a new
    CONFIG_IO-APIC_SMP config option as well. After all, we now have the nice
    new smart-config in the kernel, which means the reason CONFIG_SMP was
    moved to a Makefile is no longer an issue. I believe all the
    pre-conditions you previosly listed for changing this back are now in
    place. I believe that Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> has
    already written such a patch that works within the new smart-config
    stuff. Linus, any chance of seeing this change soon?

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
    email: andersee@debian.org

    On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
    > >
    > > Kernel 2.1.80 doesn't boot for me -- I get keyboard timeouts, then
    > > timeouts on hda, hdb, etc. The results with and without the pirq= boot
    > > command seem to be about the same. On my system the pirq command gives
    > >
    > > pirq=0x0a,0x0b
    > >
    > > The system is a Pentium 133, Asus p55t2p4 w/ 32M, EIDE HD.
    >
    > Right. The current io-apic code probably doesn't work at all on non-SMP
    > systems, so you have to compile for UP to make it work.
    >
    > I'll probably make it default to using the old setup, with a run-time
    > utility to set up the IO-APIC interrupt handling. That way we won't be
    > making any mistakes at bootup, so the machine will at least work, and we
    > can write a small user-level program that parses the PCI irq tables to
    > find out what the pirq setting should be..
    >
    > That should also make the SMP kernel boot on an UP machine again.
    >
    > Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:4.097 / U:0.040 seconds]