    SubjectRe: 3.0 wishlist
    Date
    From: Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    >> Dan Hollis writes:

    >>> Thats why BSD and others do a CRC on the dump code to make sure
    >>> everything is consistent enough to do a dump. It also only writes
    >>> to reserved section of the disk and not the filesystem. Thus the
    >>> horror story becomes vapor.
    >>
    >> Oddly however, NetBSD manages to trash partitions.
    >
    > I did a search through altavista and was unable to find any reports.
    > Do you have any documented cases of this?

    It is listed at their own website on a bug collection page.
    Don't imagine Linux dumb code would be bug-free.

    > I'm leaning toward the way IRIX does dumps now... which nullifies
    > all arguments against 'confused hardware'. This will only be
    > possible if a way can be found to prevent BIOS from stomping all
    > over memory on a warmboot though.

    Going over the network might be safe, since you could disable
    disk access first. Maybe use a separate network stack with a
    really simple non-standard (not IP) protocal. It could use
    Ethernet broadcast and forget any streaming features.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:61.136 seconds]