    SubjectRe: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?
    Hi,

    James Mastros wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
    [...]
    >> * Possibly DIPC integration, at least some of the
    >> clustering features that arn't WAY out there. (support
    >> for a daemon providing shared pid space)
    >Not hard to add as a patch, [...]

    It is hard for the DIPC development team to prepare the patches for the
    new kernels.

    > [...] and I think it's going to stay that way till we
    >see some standard for DIPC. [...]

    DIPC changes some standard UNIX mechanisms (System V IPC), in a _very_
    compatible way, to do its work.

    > [...] (BTW -- DIPC != clustering -- Distributed
    >Interprocess Communication)

    Depends on your definition of clustering. Windows NT has "clustering", but
    it is more about fault tolerance. A page-based distributed shared memory
    system is really hard to find on commercial operating systems.

    I think DIPC is a very useful addition to Linux, and it would be better for
    it to get into the standard kernels as soon as possible. We have been
    tracking Linux kernel releases for about two years (DIPC has been usable
    right from its first "alpha" release), and have been forced to adapt DIPC's
    kernel patches to the changes people make there. I and other people working
    on DIPC can not continue doing so for ever.

    -Kamran Karimi