    SubjectRe: devfs
    Leonard N. Zubkoff writes:
    > Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 15:41:57 +1100
    > From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
    >
    > It does seem inconsistent to have letters delimiting all the other
    > parameters except the slices. If you can come up with a different
    > letter for "slice" which doesn't sound too contrived, I'd prefer
    > that. Right now 's' could be either "subdevice" or "slice". One could
    > use 'l' for discLabel, but that looks too much like '1'.
    >
    > While I perfer the more abstract device/subdevice concept to the
    > more specific device/partition/slice proposal, device/subdevice is
    > not really general enough to handle slices within partitions without
    > using a contrived subdevice encoding. I don't have a reasonable
    > suggestion to offer for extending it ("k" for contrived, anyone?
    > :-)), so it looks like using device/partition/slice is the best
    > we're going to do.

    OK. Hopefully this covers everything. So, we have:
    /dev/sd/c0b1t2d3p4 for a whole partition, be it primary or logical
    /dev/sd/c0b1t2d3p4s5 for a single slice in a partition

    Leonard: one last choice before I set this in stone: do we use 'd' for
    LUN or 'u'? Since we have to drop the device/subdevice concept, I
    suppose we could reconsider the d/u choice too. IMHO 'u' is a little
    more obvious, although I'll leave it at 'd' if you really think that's
    better.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:0.204 seconds]