    SubjectNLS char set and fsck

    Apologies if this has been discussed. I don't want anyone else to get
    burned, and I just noticed that my linux-kernel subscription was gone.

    Recently, mount has been telling me it can't find the NLS code page
    for my /msdos partition. I ignored the problem, but apparently that
    was a bad idea. I thought scandisk had gone bananas, until I realized
    that a) I haven't run scandisk or even booted into Win/DOS for a week or
    two, and b) scandisk doesn't use names like FSCK0000.BIN.

    a0.dat ahdw b1.dat bk bootlog.prv
    bootlog.txt cd changes
    config.bak config.dos config.qb config.sys
    copying cwsdpmi.swp detlog.old detlog.txt dm2
    dos dospath exc1.xls exc2.xls
    files fsck0000.bin fsck0001.dos fsck0002.bin
    fsck0003.drv fsck0007.doc fsck0008.doc fsck0009.log fsck0010
    fsck0011.bak fsck0013.old fsck0014.bat fsck0015.txt fsck0016.qb fsck0018.txt fsck0019.lsm fsck0020.rt fsck0021.asm
    fsck0022.asm fsck0023.asm fsck0024.asm fsck0025 fsck0026.asm
    fsck0027.s fsck0028.c gaga.txt goof.y i
    iaccess info initrd.tgz initrd.txt io.sys
    linux-i linux.bat loadlin.asm loadlin.exe lodlin
    maco manual.txt mouse mps mscdex.exe
    msdos.--- msdos.bak msdos.sys net netlog.txt
    osbs params.doc q q2.2q readme.1st
    sb16 sbcd.sys suhdlog.--- suhdlog.dat system.1st test.par test.rtf ultima8
    util viewer vmlinuz vu wc2.cfg
    winword world.exe zip ~qtwtmp.tmp

    Anyway, it blew away windows and a lot of other directories/files by
    renaming them to the same names (apparently), all in the automatic
    fsck mounting procedure. I am not sure when this started, but the
    windows directory worked from wine until sometime this past week.
    Note that the directory is always mounted read only, and the kernel
    has not changed recently - fsck is dated as April 97, but
    /sbin/dosfsck is Jan 9, so it must have been what changed.

    I think the kernel/fsck should be careful about mounting a filesystem
    or checking one if it doesn't have the code pages. What exactly is
    the current policy? I think the behavior I am describing is bad under
    any circumstances.

    Anyway, I've taken win/dos out of mounting/fstab for now, and am
    upgrading/recompiling to get rid of this behavior by adding more
    codepages as soon as I can get a compile to finish.
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other
    invention, with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequilla.
    -- Mitch Ratcliffe

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:1.088 seconds]