    SubjectRe: 2.1.79 + latest smbfs patch
    David Burrows wrote:

    > I just tried the above modification to <linux/smb_mount.h>, recompiled
    > smbmnt, and lo and behold everything now works perfectly.. F@#$@ glibc2..
    > :P
    > How about someone update the mount tools and maybe that include file with
    > #ifdefs for glibc2 so nobody else has to go through that.. :)

    Glad to hear you've got things working!

    > Another thought, why is there a smbmount and smbmnt.. it seems rather
    > pointless as the only command smbmount supports is mount, which just calls
    > smbmnt.. How about integrating smbmnt with smbmount like it originally was
    > in 2.0.xx? Is this a feasable idea, I'm sure a quick hack could be
    > whipped up.

    I think they're separate because the smbmnt utility needs setuid root.
    You want to minimize what such utilities can do. Anyway, it's
    transparent to the the user -- just install the binaries and things
    should work (barring glibc problems, of course.)

    > How about the mount tool being able to automatically detect NT, 95, Samba,
    > Wfw, etc, and being able to enable workarounds automatically. :) That is
    > a bit much to ask though because we arn't really sure which workarounds
    > solve which problems yet.

    It's possible, but note that only Win 95 needs special treatment. For
    the other SMB servers (so far at least, wait til Win NT 5 and Win 98
    come out), just knowing the protocol level is sufficient.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.029 / U:1.836 seconds]