    SubjectRe: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1491
    > > >   slices inside a standard MS-DOS-style partition. What would you
    > > > suggest to handle that? How about:
    > > > /dev/sd/c0b0t0d0p1s6 :-)
    > But why diffrentiate between scsi- and ide-disks? In my opinion all
    > 'disks' should be visible in a /dev/dsk or similar.
    > Now that even Sun uses cheap IDE-disks in their new Ultra5 and Ultra10
    > workstations, differentiation is doomed.

    Heh. Back in the days before the earth cooled, Slackware used the
    following hard drive devnames:

    current: old slackware way:
    /dev/hda /dev/hda
    /dev/hdb /dev/hdb
    /dev/hdc /dev/hd1a
    /dev/hdd /dev/hd1b

    Now, don't we want to avoid this kind of foolishness? Nothing against
    slackware, and i realize that you can call the nodes whatever the heck you
    want, but this was STUPID. :) I personally hate the Slowaris method of
    naming disks. It is painful on the eyes, and i just make symlinks to the
    nice linux names instead. :)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.023 / U:38.876 seconds]