SubjectRe: kernel debugger
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 "Peter J. Braam" <braam@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me how to fire up gdb (or kgdb -- where is a recent
> > version of that animal?) and use it in deubgging a module.
>
> I got xkdebug (which contains xkgdb, an improved kgdb) from
> ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/
> Get patch-ktrace-memleak-xkdebug-2.1.78 and use it instead of the patch
> included in xkdebug-2.1.55.tgz.
>
> I was very impressed with it.
> --Scott

Hi Scott and Peter,

There is a problem with gdb which makes it dangerous to debug modules.
Keith has disabled reading of symbols from modules because of it. The
problem is that if you do info line func_in_module, you get wrong info
back.

Either of you know of a good source for gdb patches? Never know, may
be a fix out there somewhere.

-Mike

Aside:
In upgrading to 2.1.79, I had a problem with duplicated labels in the
inline functions in pgtable.h which I converted to macros for memleak
detection. I sent a patchlet to Keith to correct this booboo. Looks
like 80 will be out before it gets in tho :) so watch out if enabling
memleak in 79.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.028 / U:0.748 seconds]