SubjectRe: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Arthur Jerijian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently saw an announcement for a new version of GGI, the General
> Graphics Interface, which is much more stable and robust than the previous
> version. My personal opinion is that plans should be made to incorporate
> GGI in Linux 2.3. It's about time that we get fast graphics in Linux
> without the need to setuid an entire graphics application, prone to go
> wrong in hundreds of plaes, as root. Plus, we don't have to put with
> about 20 different X servers any more; all we'll need is one, plus the
> appropriate video driver for the card in use.
>
> What do you think? Considering that Linux 2.1 has been worked on for
> almost two years (!) and a 2.2 release is nowhere in sight, I would
> imagine the Linux 2.4, the next stable one, would be out in, oh say,
> December 1999. By that time, GGI will sure to be a rock-solid product and
> a viable alternative to SVGALib and a whole phletora of X servers prone to
> any number of inconsistent bugs. I think it would be wise to start making
> plans to make GGI a standard part of the next Linux development cycle.
>
> Thank you for your time.

I think that GGI should be incorporated in 2.1.x myself, as it is
more stable than some of the code that is in 2.1.x right now, and
being added daily. As someone else allready stated, the feature
freeze, isn't really being held very tightly. 6 months ago, I
heard 2.2 would be out for christmas maybe. I put my bets on
Apr/Jun 98, and I think that it will eventually come out around
then or later. GGI works fine on my system right now. I haven't
mucked with it too much, but is a nice step in the right
direction I believe. "The Right Thing to Do" (TM)

If incorporated into ANY official kernel EVER, it should, and
probably would be an option in "make menuconfig". Turning on GGI
support would switch all console code to the GGI stuff, etc...

Thats my $0.02 anyways...

Mike A. Harris | Homepage: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant |
System/Network Administrator - John Howard Society, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
... and remember, LINUX spelled backwards is XUNIL.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.089 / U:0.444 seconds]