SubjectRe: Using >1GB RAM
Date

> > May I ask if what I shall do with the 2GB 4 CPU machine?
> > If I can live with 2GB user space and 2GB kernel space, is it
> > worth modifying the kernel? Please give me a rough estimate
> > of the workload.
>
> It shouldnt be that hard, and I'd like to see it done anyway. I don't have
> 2Gigs to test it but I suspect Ingo or me can knock you up a test patch easily
>
> > I know that SunOS OpenServer can support up to 4GB memory though
> > it is very expensive. How do they manage to do that?
>
> You have to start flushing the TLB every time you enter kernel mode and
> need to touch a physical memory object as opposed to kernels own data/bss
> space. It could be added to Linux but 4Gb boxes arent the norm and there
> is a performance hit for a kernel built that way.

This screams PPro. Is there going to be a 64 bit version (like for the Alpha),
for the PPro?

Curious thing, I took Intel's benchmarks and did some calculation. The PPro
gets faster when you increase the Mhz; the performance per Mhz goes up. The
P 2 gets slower ther faster it runs, performance per Mhz. My calculations
suggest that a PPro running at the speed a P 2 (300Mhz) runs at, it would be
faster than a P 2. This doesn't account for the fact that a PPro is a 64 bit
processor, since their benchmarks are 32 bit only.

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
email: perry@apsoft.com Think Blue. /\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.077 / U:0.088 seconds]