    SubjectRe: devfs

    On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:34:47 GMT, John G. Alvord wrote:

    >The use of letters like h and d is rather English-centric for the exact
    >physical name. A pure dot/dash/underline separated physical name
    >would require less to explain for non-Englishspeakers.

    Well so is sd.....but a good point. No real need for the letters. In fact
    if this system is expanded to include other types of devices (IDE for
    instance) it can just become confusing, especially when it comes time to
    parse it.

    sd.0.0.0.0.0

    MSB<-LSB, nice, simple, extendable, logical. Make some symlinks that are
    more verbose if need be.....

    Back to the directories....I think one is going to be enough. Breaking it
    all down more seems nice at first glance but looks like a nightmare to
    actually deal with.

    Something like.....

    /dev/
    ide/
    0.0.0.0.0 ->
    sd/
    0.0.0.0.0 ->
    etc....

    To even further kill this idea : > why not add one or two extra place
    holder bits, simply visual in nature, so the same scheme can be used across
    all furture devices without having to worry much about running out of
    places?

    /dev/
    ide/
    0.0.0.0.0.0.0 ->
    sd/
    0.0.0.0.0.0.0 ->

    sd/0.0.1.1.3.0.5 == sd_h1c1i3l0s5

    ide/0.0.3.0.1.0.3 == hdh3
    ide/0.0.1.0.0.0.4 == hdc4
    ide/0.0.0.0.0.0.6 == hda6
    ide/0.0.0.0.1.0.0
    or
    ide/0.0.0.0.1.0 == hdb

    Again symlinks can make it all pretty.....

    http://www.psychosis.com/emc/ Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214
    http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/ Linux Router Project

    "The only way to stay cutting edge, is to design for things that do not yet
    exist." -- Me : )

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.041 / U:32.500 seconds]