    SubjectRe: devlinks: an alternative to devfs
    martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis)  wrote on 09.01.98 in <199801090830.JAA00307@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>:

    > > Excuse my ignorance (I know that sure I am missing something), but why
    > > don' t change in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kdev_t.h from:
    > >
    > > typedef unsigned short kdev_t;
    > >
    > > to:
    > >
    > > typedef unsigned int kdev_t;
    > >
    > > and we will have magically space for 16 bit minor and major numbers. Then
    > > we need to change MINORBITS to 16 and all others 8 to 16...
    >
    > Several reasons. For one, ext2 is not capable of storing 32 bit device
    > numbers, at least not in the current definition of ext2. So you need
    > to extend ext2.
    >
    > Furthermore, the system calls (most notable stat(2) and mknod(2) are
    > not capable of passing 32 bits as device number, so you need new system
    > calls.
    >
    > Next, the C library does not provide structure definitions for those
    > system calls, nor does it call them. So you need a new C library.

    Ok so far ...

    > Finally, the applications allocating those structures on the stack
    > don't know that the structure size changed. So you need to recompile all
    > your applications.

    Not if they are compiled for glibc. Glibc seems to show a 64 bit dev_t to
    applications (see /usr/include/gnu/types.h).

    The longer I look at glibc, the better it looks to me.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:88.824 seconds]