SubjectRe: devfs

Hello Richard & all,

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> James W. Laferriere Network Engineer writes:

> > > The easiest would be to add a field so that it looks like the following:
> > >
> > > cCbBtTdDsS
> > >
> > > <C> == controller
> > > <B> == bus/channel on controller
> > > <T> == target (ID)
> > > <D> == LUN
> > > <S> == slice/partition
> >
> > Nit picking here. But, I would really like to see something
> > that does not follow Sloaris's example. At least in the Char.s
> > used to describe the meanings.
> >
> > cCbBdDlLpP < The next nit is that the 'l' looks like a One or an 'I'.
> >
> > <C> == Controller
> > <B> == Bus/channel on controller
> > <D> == Disk/target (ID)
>
> They are SCSI targets/IDs, not discs, so "d" is misleading.

I was under the impression that the devfs & the above was
to cover all media types, scsi, ide, mfm, esdi, .... ?

If that is the case then the above 'dD' for disk could
still be usable for the types that I am aware of .
I do admit that for the scsi-id with a multi-lun adapter
that 'disk' is a large misnomer. But for the most common
systems 'dD' is a valid & non-confusing syntax.

> > <L> == Lun
> > <P> == Partition/slice
>
> What do you think about my original scheme:
>
> sd_hHcCiIlLpP
>
> <H> -> host controller
> <C> -> SCSI channel/bus
> <I> -> SCSI target ID
> <L> -> LUN
> <P> -> partition
>
> eg:
> /dev/sd_h0c0i3l0p2

OK, Yes, This seems logical to me, and alot less confusing
to initiate as well as the experienced.

I am still awaiting Mr. Neuffer to responde on this subject.;-)
A while back we had a (very enlightening for me) discussion
an a procfs tree structure that I had proposed, Which seemed
to get roundly trounced. ;-)

> If you don't like the "l", how about:
>
> sd_hHcCiIdDpP
>
> <H> -> host controller
> <C> -> SCSI channel/bus
> <I> -> SCSI target ID
> <D> -> Device/LUN
> <P> -> partition
>
> eg:
> /dev/sd_h0c0i3d0p2

My nit about the 'l' is even to me a -minor- one.

The 'dD' will again lead (IMO) to confusion with -disk- which
most people will think is their HardDrive , not the LUN entry.
I went around for a couple of days attempting to un-ravel the
sloaris dev structure . Took a bit of experimenting to find
out the order.
Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Now in Progress !YAY! there's Progress To Report <-|
|-> Please See http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~mikal/vaxlinux/home.html <-|
|-> Maintainer: Michael Still mikal@blitzen.canberra.edu.au <-|

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.041 / U:0.304 seconds]