SubjectRe: new dentry feature in 2.1.78
Martin von Loewis wrote:

> For struct super_block, the statistics is somewhat different
> 336 minix_sb
> 232 ext2_sb
> 36 hpfs_sb
> 120 ntfs_sb
> 68 msdos_sb
> 44 isofs_sb
> 324 nfs_sb
> 180 sysv_sb
> 100 affs_sb
> 76 ufs_sb
> 4 romfs_sb
> 100 smbfs_sb
> 56 hfs_sb
>
> (all in bytes, on x86) So most superblocks contain a lot of unused
> memory. I don't know whether this means that they should be of
> variable size, or whether one should fix the minix_sb.

I think it would be worthwhile to make the superblocks smaller, as it's
easy to just allocate extra memory for those fs that need more (many
already do this anyway.)

Some people have had to upgrade the size of the superblock array in
order to accommodate the expected number of mounts. Unfortunately, it's
often NFS that requires lots of mounts, and it seems to have one of the
biggest superblocks.

Regards,
Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.460 / U:0.032 seconds]