SubjectRe: linuxWin-modems don't work with Linux Re: uart 16550AN
Date
> standard???  A WinModem does NOT take any system processing -- in fact it
> performs BETTER than an external modem as you eliminate a dual-RS232
> conversion. It is cheaper to make an internal rather than external

A lot of so called win modems perform far far worse than a real modem device
because they move error correcting, MNP5 and friends onto the main machine.

> I've been using USR exclusively for 5 years -- I give them an A+ for
> reliability and support. There was a software bug in the first 33.6 modems

You must be the only person they ever made happy

> that caused degrading performance but USR provided a FREE PROM replacement!

Unfortunately all the buggy 28.8's they've not fixed. They never fixed the
dialin negotiation problem with Sonix modems they had either instead they
expected the other vendor to work around it. As a happy irony 3com now
own both USR and Sonix, tho they closed all of sonix down recently.

> didn't know) you CANNOT move a DSP "onto" your computer -- there ain't no
> analog input line to play with (other than the game port but we won't count
> that :-).

Incorrect. There are people who feed nothing but say 16KHz 8bit digital sample
data onto their mainboard and do the rest of the work in the main machine. This
is very rare in the PC world so far but extremely common in embedded
applications.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.043 / U:0.120 seconds]