    SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev
    On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > The question of symlinks: either the devfs supports creation of
    > symlinks (stored in RAM) or you require symlinks from an external
    > filesystem (not very nice).

    I favor the former, since either way you're going to eat disk space for
    storage of symlinks - either in a script or on the disk. But with a ram
    based symlink, you don't have to hit the disk to dereference the link,
    so its faster. It's also one less failure point for a system due to
    filesystem corruption, and one less thing for fsck to handle.

    Someone's already specced out a linuxfs at

    http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/devfs.html

    Someone's already written code :-) at

    http://www.linuxhq.com/patch/20-p0814.html

    -Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:2.948 / U:0.136 seconds]