    SubjectRe: Solaris 2.6 and Linux
    Jeffrey B. Siegal <jbs@quiotix.com> wrote:
    > Sigh. It is a good idea, and I encourage you to pursue it. However, it
    > doesn't "solve" the problem. The manufacturer needs to contract with
    > you, which means they need to investigate whether you are legitimate
    > or not. They need to monitor whether the service you are providing is
    > of acceptable quality for them to be associated with (can't have you
    > dis'ing their customers). They need to have a plan for what happens if
    > you go out of business prior to their three year obligation. Etc.

    To a large degree, these things are covered by existing product
    liability laws, and contract laws. In practice, most companies would do
    a brief check (make a few phone calls, maybe) then not worry about it
    unless problems cropped up.

    Also, unless I've completely mis-read the GPL, when I offer such a
    service, I become liable for fulfilling it. [The company which provides
    the source needs to announce that that's how the source code becomes
    available, but unless there's something very fradulent going on their
    responsibility ends there.]

    > It is entirely possible that the transaction costs involved with
    > outsourcing their obligation are higher than the cost of satisfying it
    > internally.

    As the bulk of the transaction cost is the cost to make a decision,
    what you're really saying (now) is that in some companies it's
    too expensive to make decisions.

    > Nothing comes free.

    As do many other things...

    --
    Raul

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:120.160 seconds]