    SubjectRe: New feature
    Date
    Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote Rogier Wolff:
    >I disagree. stat-ing a file accesses the directory. As does reading
    >the directory. stat-ing a file does not access that file.
    >
    >This is the way it is supposed to work, this is the way it works on
    >2.0.30.
    >
    >Otherwise "ls -lrt --time=atime" would be pretty destructive: you'd
    >touch all access time on the way.

    Gee, how long are we going to argue about this before someone goes to the
    kernel to see what the h*ll it's doing and then consult the POSIX docs to
    see if there are any rules.

    I quote the stat(2) manpage (Linux 1.175):
    Not all of the Linux filesystems implement all of the time
    fields. Traditionally, st_atime is changed by mknod(2),
    utime(2), read(2), write(2), and truncate(2).

    Traditionally, st_mtime is changed by mknod(2), utime(2),
    and write(2). The st_mtime is not changed for changes in
    owner, group, hard link count, or mode.

    Traditionally, st_ctime is changed by writing or by set-
    ting inode information (i.e., owner, group, link count,
    mode, etc.).

    --Ricky

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:2.954 / U:0.196 seconds]