SubjectRe: /proc/pci design idea
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <19970915212422.41308@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
> By author: Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> > >
> > > I think these are decent ideas, but I would prefer not going around and
> > > creating system calls willy-nilly. Entries in /proc use existing system
> > > calls, and also take care of managing permissions, security restrictions,
> > > etc. (The pciconfig_write system call on alphas can be executed by anyone,
> > > for example.)
> > >
> > > Only problem is, it requires /proc to be configured in. Oh well, I'm not
> > > the first and won't be the last.
> >
> > Well, doing this via /proc is much slower. And how do you want to separate
> > byte, word and longword accesses?
> >

> There are things /proc was not meant to do; I/O is one of them -- I/O
> is much better handled by traditional /dev device nodes.

If you want a device, I have submitted the code to do that a few
months ago. Yes you can write. Dejanews?

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.051 / U:0.372 seconds]