SubjectRe: /proc/pci design idea
Hi,

> I've heard several suggestions involving adding another system call.
>
> I think these are decent ideas, but I would prefer not going around and
> creating system calls willy-nilly. Entries in /proc use existing system
> calls, and also take care of managing permissions, security restrictions,
> etc. (The pciconfig_write system call on alphas can be executed by anyone,
> for example.)
>
> Only problem is, it requires /proc to be configured in. Oh well, I'm not
> the first and won't be the last.

Well, doing this via /proc is much slower. And how do you want to separate
byte, word and longword accesses?

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@gts.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"Man is the highest animal. Man does the classifying."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.064 / U:4.904 seconds]