    SubjectRe: Bizarre difference in uptimes for same kernel
    Rob Partington <rjp@faethor.wamphyri.net> writes:

    > Is it possible that compiling the kernel with pgcc instead of gcc
    > actually makes for a more stable kernel? I don't know enough about the
    > kernel, or about gcc/pgcc to judge, so I throw it open to the massed
    > wisdom of linux-kernel for an answer...

    More accurately, compiling a kernel with "pgcc" instead of "gcc" makes
    for a *different* kernel. Instructions, and their order, change. As
    a result, bugs behave differently, causing failures once an hour with
    the "gcc" kernel and once a year with the "pgcc" kernel.

    However, it wouldn't be wise to generalize. A different kind of bug
    might make "gcc" produce a "stabler" kernel than "pgcc".

    Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.098 / U:34.144 seconds]