SubjectRe: missing net modules
Date
> after a bonehead move on my part, I went out and got for the second time
> a number
> of RPMs to upgrade from RH 2.0.27 to 2.0.30 I thought I got all the
> RPMs I did the
> first time but... The kernel builds successfully but when the system
> boots,
> modprobe complains: can't locate module net-pf-4 and -5. The
> network works
> ok the first time it is started but after the ppp link goes down pppd
> just hangs
> on trying to restart it. So how do I figure out what the missing
> modules are, and
> if they are related to the pppd problem?

I didn't see any replys so I will.

net-pf-4 and 5 are the ipx and apple talk protocols. What you see is caused by
the kernel looking for all protocols and warning you that you don't have these two. It is no cause for concern and if you don't want to see the messages then add the lines:

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

to /etc/conf.modules. Then you won't see the messages again.

Geoff Hoff

--
Geoffrey Hoff <ghoff@utk.edu>
Assistant Systems Administrator

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.164 / U:0.560 seconds]