SubjectRe: 4x6 IDE CDROM
Kernel support for IDE/ATAPI cdrom changers in the 2.0.x series
was slightly (very slightly) enhanced in 2.0.29. If you want REAL
support, please check out the 2.1.10 and after. I recommend you try
2.1.48 if you are going to use development kernels (other fixes help
make this kernel rather stable). Anyway, a nice discussion of how
these devices work can be had in linux/Documentation/cdrom/ide-cd.
The file also has source code for a small program called "cdload"
in the case of 2.0.x or "cdchange" for 2.1.10+, which is enhanced
to take advantage of the greatly improved cd changer support under 2.1.x.
Also, a rather cool X application to select the current CD slot is
available at http://www.cs.hope.edu/~malda/linux/mystuff.shtml
This should work with both 2.0.x and 2.1.10+ kernels.
I maintain the ide-cdrom driver, and I have an NEC 4x4 changer. If all
the new support I added for changers doesn't work for you, detailed bug
reports are always apprecieated.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
email: andersee@debian.org

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Karl Majer wrote:

> Hi guys... Im looking to get my NEC 4x6 drive working with my sytem. I have
> compiled the ATAPI/CDROM cdrom drive support into my Redhat 2.0.27 kernel,
> added support for the iso9660 file system type and on boot, the system see's
> the cd drive.
>
> <dmesg>
> hdb: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:252, ATAPI CDROM drive
>
> I can load a cd into slot 3, and then mount it with
>
> #mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
>
> and it works fine for a single cd. How do I get the cdrom to acknowledge
> the other 3 slots?
>
> trying to mount any other hdb slice gives the following error:
>
> root@lancelot:/dev] mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdb3 /cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hdb3 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb3,
> or too many mounted file systems
> root@lancelot:/dev]
>
> and regardless of the partition i tell it to try and mount, only slot 3's
> light flashes.
>
> While I think I posted this in the right place, if this isnt, then feel free
> to flame...
>
> thanks...
>
> Karl

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.543 / U:0.008 seconds]