    SubjectRe: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48
    On Wed, Aug 06, 1997 at 10:12:04AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    [ Andreas Schwab writes:]
    > > A better approach might perhaps be if xxx_lookup not only
    > > creates the dentry for the original name, but also for a `canonical' name,
    > > ie., the name it would return in xxx_readdir.
    >
    > I've been thinking along a slightly different line.
    >
    > What could be done is that "lookup" will just match any of the canonical
    > names, but when it notices that it has matched the same inode twice, it
    > just throws away the new dentry and returns the old dentry instead. That
    > way only one dentry would ever be active at a time.

    Hmm.. That would make dentries less and less useful, in my eyes. Currently,
    they at least try to imitate Unix (single inode -> multiple dentry possible).
    The scheme above would mean it would be impossible to differentiate between
    hard links (or at least their names from their dentries). And for nfs, even
    more difficulties may come if someone renames a still-in-use file remotely?

    At least only one of them would live, just as well as if it was hardlinked?

    --
    Janos - Don't worry, my address works. I'm just bored of spam.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:2.276 / U:1.900 seconds]