SubjectCorrupted partition table
Date
Hiya,

every now and then my logical partition table gets corrupted...
(I then have to enter it manually again in fdisk, rewrite it to
disk, and everything works again).

Because I wanted to find out what is causing this, I added a check
program (which uses fdisk) to cron, which checks it every 5 minutes.

It only happens every few months, but still :).. I think I now found
out what causes the corruption of the partition table: When I manage
large files. Last time I editted a file of 13000 lines, after which
the partition table was corrupted - for instance. It is mostly (always?)
happening when I edit a large file.

I am running 2.0.30 and got a EIDE disk of 3 gigabytes.
Note that I got a LOT of partitions (13), but it shouldn't
be related to that because I had the same problem on another machine
(at my work) that didn't have so many partitions.

This might be a bug in the ext2 fs code (?).

I have no idea what else I can do to get closer to the problem,
but if someone wants to send me a kernel patch to look for the
problem, then thats ok with me. Unfortunately, it is not per definition
reproducable, which is why we need to think of something that detects
it during normal use.

ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM3200A, 3067MB w/76kB Cache, LBA, CHS=779/128/63
hdb: WDC AC33100H, 3020MB w/128kB Cache, LBA, CHS=767/128/63, DMA
hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5602B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

hdb is never mounted.

Contact me if you need more info,

Run

PS I also installed the kernel-memory-leak patch, cause my machine leaks
50 megs of ram per month. Could be caused by the fork-leak, which I
didn't fix yet (because I run the cron script every 5 minutes), but
I am not sure yet there isn't another (huge) leak. I'll let you know.

--
carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl, Run @ IRC.

ircd development: http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/ircd-dev

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.023 / U:0.428 seconds]