    SubjectRe: Usenet gateway?

    Richard> Jes Degn Soerensen writes:
    >> Thats not a good idea. Some people run local gateways accessible
    >> by only a limited number of people, which saves both bandwidth and
    >> often disk space.

    Richard> I don't care if they run a local gateway, as long as they
    Richard> don't gate back into the mailing list from Usenet (be it
    Richard> local or otherwise). What I am saying is that when they break
    Richard> the rules (or stuff up), they get barred from the list
    Richard> automatically, which prevents the rest of us getting
    Richard> duplicates. The onus should be placed on them to plead with
    Richard> Dave M. to be reinstated.

    You have my full support here - I am just against banning such headers
    as they are not the problem as long as people don't peer the groups
    with others and feed the replies back into the list.

    Richard> But how is it getting from the old heirarchy into the mailing
    Richard> list? Does someone still have a Usenet -> vger gateway? If
    Richard> so, they should be permanently blocked, as Dave M. has stated
    Richard> that this is not to be done. Unfortunately, setting up these
    Richard> filters to enforce the rules is something take takes up
    Richard> Dave's valuable time. I'm can understand why he'd get pissed
    Richard> off at having to stuff around with these things, especially
    Richard> since it can all be avoided by people respecting his wishes.

    Hmmm do I really have to say "me too" .....

    However a local private gateway which feeds things back to vger is not
    a problem, as long as it behaves. I must say that I do not consider a
    private gateway as a Usenet gateway.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:30.300 seconds]