    SubjectRe: APM support for avoiding waking up laptops every few seconds?
    Hi!

    > > It would be nice if the laptop feature to spin down the drive weren't
    > > nearly completely defeated by Unix's intelligent memory management. I
    > > know people have suggested (and implemented) disabling updating atime
    > > as a solution, but i think that would only help a little. Really, all
    > > disk activity should be avoided and delayed whenever the disk is spun
    > > down.
    > >
    > > Ideally what i would like to see would be,
    > >
    > > 1 Just before the APM spins down the disk, a sync should be done.
    > > Though i'm not actually sure there's any way to request such
    > > notice.
    >
    > I think recent versions of apmd arrange for a callback from the BIOS
    > before the machine suspends, and take advantage of this to sync. I'm
    > still trying to get this set up properly.
    >
    > There is room for improvement wrt avoiding writes if the disk is spun
    > down.

    I have modified bdflush to do exactly following, it needs _NOT_ to
    know about apm, it does need to patch kernel.

    Mail me.
    Pavel

    --
    I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
    Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.028 / U:0.624 seconds]